Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Japanese Commercials

One of more frequent questions I get from people after I tell them I live in Japan, is 
"Why are Japanese commercials so crazy?"

I wish I had an answer, but unfortunately I don't. 

So until I come up with one, please take this time to enjoy some of my personal favorites:


Let's start off with some of the basics.


This is why Japanese commericals are so great, the dog has absolutely NOTHING to do with the chips this commercial is selling.

Look, I get where they were trying to go with this, these particular chips have a "punch" of consommé, which they attempt to express multiple times through a play on words, with the dog being "punched" with heartbreak after he sees the kid has a crush on.......Uh yeah, I have no idea where they were trying to go with this.



This one's more weird than funny:

I genuinely don't understand.

At all.

The dude in the clip is part of a popular Japanese boy band called SMAP.
So, I get the celebrity endorsement, 
I get the keep-product-in-frame-at-all-times to sell the product, 
I don't get the gradually-wearing-more-fruit element. 

The commercial is a couple years old, but the same guy is still to this day the spokesperson for Dole.
The Ad must have been a hit with Dole if they decided to keep him on board. *shrugs shoulders*





A friend of mine sent me this one a couple weeks ago, and it instantly became one of my favorites.

I wonder how many takes it took to get it right.

On second thought, I don't care. This commercial is amazing regardless.






This one I saw on TV very recently. 
and surprise! it also exploded on the internet. I had a feeling it would…

I feel like this is one of those commercials you'd see on "World's Best banned commercials".
It's creative, and (a little too) memorable, but I'm not sure if it makes me want to go to Fuji-Q High land.


Have a favorite Japanese commercial?
Send them to me!


No comments:

Post a Comment